MONUSCO Archives - Jean-Jacques Cornish https://jjcornish.com/tag/monusco/ The low down on African affairs Thu, 19 Sep 2019 22:00:00 +0000 en-US hourly 1 https://wordpress.org/?v=6.5.5 https://i0.wp.com/jjcornish.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/cropped-Fountain_Pen_favicon-812.png?fit=32%2C32&ssl=1 MONUSCO Archives - Jean-Jacques Cornish https://jjcornish.com/tag/monusco/ 32 32 Refugees from violence in Ituri province cut down by unidentified gunmen in DRC https://jjcornish.com/2019/09/refugees-from-violence-in-ituri-province-cut-down-by-unidentified-gunmen-in-drc/ Thu, 19 Sep 2019 22:00:00 +0000 https://jjcornish.com/2019/09/refugees-from-violence-in-ituri-province-cut-down-by-unidentified-gunmen-in-drc/ At least 28 refugees from violence in the north-eastern Democratic Republic of Congo have been shot dead. The United Nations stabilizing mission MONUSCO says civilians, including children, were targeted. The province of  Ituri  is one of those affected by the Ebola outbreak in the DRC. The age-old violence between Lendu pastoralists and Hema herders, which […]

The post Refugees from violence in Ituri province cut down by unidentified gunmen in DRC appeared first on Jean-Jacques Cornish.

]]>
At least 28 refugees from violence in the north-eastern Democratic Republic of Congo have been shot dead.

The United Nations stabilizing mission MONUSCO says civilians, including children, were targeted.

The province of  Ituri  is one of those affected by the Ebola outbreak in the DRC.

The age-old violence between Lendu pastoralists and Hema herders, which has killed more than 200 people and displaced a further 30 000 since June ,   is one of the most serious challenges to medical staff trying to contain the epidemic.

People trying to flee this violence were cut down in the villages and displacement camps that came under fire from unidentified gunmen.

There has not been any comment yet from the DRC government or the United Nations.

The post Refugees from violence in Ituri province cut down by unidentified gunmen in DRC appeared first on Jean-Jacques Cornish.

]]>
SA and Zambian Presidents urge electoral commission in DRC speedily to publish election results https://jjcornish.com/2019/01/sa-and-zambian-presidents-urge-electoral-commission-in-drc-speedily-to-publish-election-results/ Tue, 08 Jan 2019 22:00:00 +0000 https://jjcornish.com/2019/01/sa-and-zambian-presidents-urge-electoral-commission-in-drc-speedily-to-publish-election-results/ The South African and Zambian Presidents urged the  DRC Electoral Commission speedily to release results of the  May 30 presidential poll. Presidents Cyril Ramaphosa and Edgar  Lungu say delay could raise suspicion and undermine peace and stability in that country Zambian President Edgar Lungu, who heads the  SADC organ on politics, defense and security cooperation called […]

The post SA and Zambian Presidents urge electoral commission in DRC speedily to publish election results appeared first on Jean-Jacques Cornish.

]]>
The South African and Zambian Presidents urged the  DRC Electoral Commission speedily to release results of the  May 30 presidential poll.

Presidents Cyril Ramaphosa and Edgar  Lungu say delay could raise suspicion and undermine peace and stability in that country

Zambian President Edgar Lungu, who heads the  SADC organ on politics, defense and security cooperation called on President Cyril Ramaphosa in Pretoria today.

They were briefed by Zambian Foreign Minister Joseph Malanj who headed the SADC election observation team to the DRC poll.

They agreed with the observers and the election had been generally peaceful  can secured the right of the Congolese people to vote.

They commended the UN peacekeepers  MONUSCO and the   DRC security rotes for supporting the electoral commission.

They assured the people the DRC of SADC’s support and solidarity.

The post SA and Zambian Presidents urge electoral commission in DRC speedily to publish election results appeared first on Jean-Jacques Cornish.

]]>
Second wave of Ebola hits DRC https://jjcornish.com/2018/10/second-wave-of-ebola-hits-drc/ Mon, 15 Oct 2018 22:00:00 +0000 https://jjcornish.com/2018/10/second-wave-of-ebola-hits-drc/ The World Health Organization has identified a second wave of the Ebola outbreak that’s killed at least 135 people in the Democratic Republic of Congo. The UN body’s meeting in Geneva tomorrow to determine whether the outbreak constitutes an international emergency. Community resistance and local violence in the North Kivus are blamed for the inability […]

The post Second wave of Ebola hits DRC appeared first on Jean-Jacques Cornish.

]]>
The World Health Organization has identified a second wave of the Ebola outbreak that’s killed at least 135 people in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

The UN body’s meeting in Geneva tomorrow to determine whether the outbreak constitutes an international emergency.

Community resistance and local violence in the North Kivus are blamed for the inability of health authorities to check the spread of Ebola.

It epicenter has moved 20kms from the Mangina to Beni on the shores of Lake Kivu – hard  up against the Uganda border.

A member of the UN peacekeeping force MONUSCO is among the latest victims.

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has pulled their workers back from the worst impacted area for safety reasons

The post Second wave of Ebola hits DRC appeared first on Jean-Jacques Cornish.

]]>
Kasai violence is pushing DRC into famine https://jjcornish.com/2017/12/kasai-violence-pushing-drc-famine/ Wed, 13 Dec 2017 22:00:00 +0000 https://jjcornish.com/2017/12/kasai-violence-pushing-drc-famine/ Security experts warn that cutting the number of United Nations peacekeepers in the Democratic Republic of Congo places vast numbers of people at risk. There are fears that violence is pushing the DRC into famine. ends intro MONUSCO in the DRC is the largest and most expensive  peacekeeping force in the world. The United Nations […]

The post Kasai violence is pushing DRC into famine appeared first on Jean-Jacques Cornish.

]]>
Security experts warn that cutting the number of United Nations peacekeepers in the Democratic Republic of Congo places vast numbers of people at risk.

There are fears that violence is pushing the DRC into famine.

ends intro

MONUSCO in the DRC is the largest and most expensive  peacekeeping force in the world.

The United Nations Security Council has voted to reduce by 3 000 its 19 000-strong ranks.

UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres is among those who’ve sounded a note of caution.

In Kasai province, riven by three years of fighting following the killing of a traditional leader, half a million children suffer sever malnutrition.

They’re among one-and-a-half million people displaced by fighting in the DRC and the World Food Programme is running out off money to feed them

The post Kasai violence is pushing DRC into famine appeared first on Jean-Jacques Cornish.

]]>
Surrendered DRC warlord knows he’s be charged with serious crimes https://jjcornish.com/2017/07/surrendered-drc-warlord-knows-hes-charged-serious-crimes/ Wed, 26 Jul 2017 22:00:00 +0000 https://jjcornish.com/2017/07/surrendered-drc-warlord-knows-hes-charged-serious-crimes/ It’s not clear why Congolese warlord Ntabo Ntaberi Sheka, wanted for crimes against humanity including mass rape has surrendered to the UN peacekeepers in the DRC. Sheka was arrested in Mutongo, in the country’s North Kivu region by the blue helmets who transferred  him to the regional capital Goma. The UN’s peacekeeping mission in DRC, […]

The post Surrendered DRC warlord knows he’s be charged with serious crimes appeared first on Jean-Jacques Cornish.

]]>
It’s not clear why Congolese warlord Ntabo Ntaberi Sheka, wanted for crimes against humanity including mass rape has surrendered to the UN peacekeepers in the DRC.

Sheka was arrested in Mutongo, in the country’s North Kivu region by the blue helmets who transferred  him to the regional capital Goma.

The UN’s peacekeeping mission in DRC, Monusco, says Sheka’s fully aware that he’s wanted by the government to stand trial for alleged crimes.

Authorities issued the warrant for Sheka’s arrest in 2011 after an attack in which the militia under his command and two other groups allegedly raped nearly 400 people in 13 villages.

His soldiers are accused of razing almost 1 000 homes and businesses and leading about 100 people off into forced labour.

The post Surrendered DRC warlord knows he’s be charged with serious crimes appeared first on Jean-Jacques Cornish.

]]>
South Africa extends commitment to peacekeeping in DRC https://jjcornish.com/2017/05/south-africa-extends-commitment-peacekeeping-drc/ Thu, 04 May 2017 22:00:00 +0000 https://jjcornish.com/2017/05/south-africa-extends-commitment-peacekeeping-drc/ South Africa’s commitment to the United Nations peace keeping force in the Democratic Republic of Congo has been extended for a year. The announcement was made by President Jacob Zuma to Parliament . The South Africa  National Defence Force has fielded 1371 members with the United Nations Organization Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of […]

The post South Africa extends commitment to peacekeeping in DRC appeared first on Jean-Jacques Cornish.

]]>
South Africa’s commitment to the United Nations peace keeping force in the Democratic Republic of Congo has been extended for a year.

The announcement was made by President Jacob Zuma to Parliament .

The South Africa  National Defence Force has fielded 1371 members with the United Nations Organization Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo known as MONUSCO.

It’s the largest contingent of peacekeepers deployed abroad by South Africa.

What’s called the Force Intervention Brigade has an extended mandate to step in to stop acts of aggression against civilians.

The South African troops will sport the UN blue berets until March next year.

Former director of South Africa’s Joint Operations Division Lieutenant General Derrick Mgwebi has extended his mandate as MONUSCO’s force commander.

The post South Africa extends commitment to peacekeeping in DRC appeared first on Jean-Jacques Cornish.

]]>
UN reduces the size of its peacekeeping force in the DRC https://jjcornish.com/2017/04/un-reduces-size-peacekeeping-force-drc/ Sun, 02 Apr 2017 22:00:00 +0000 https://jjcornish.com/2017/04/un-reduces-size-peacekeeping-force-drc/ The United Nations Security Council has cut the size of the blue-helmeted peace keeping force in the Democratic Republic of Congo. The mandate for the force known as  MONUSCO has been extended for a year with 3 600 fewer troops. ends intro The United States lead the push for the reduction in the nearly 20 […]

The post UN reduces the size of its peacekeeping force in the DRC appeared first on Jean-Jacques Cornish.

]]>
The United Nations Security Council has cut the size of the blue-helmeted peace keeping force in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

The mandate for the force known as  MONUSCO has been extended for a year with 3 600 fewer troops.

ends intro

The United States lead the push for the reduction in the nearly 20 000-strong MONUSCO, calling the DRC corrupt.

Critics of the troop cut have called the UN move penny pinching.

The council instucted the UN Secretary General to strategically review MONUSCO’s operations and examine its relevance.

President Joseph Kabila, who’s clinging to power following the expiry of his constitutional mandate, says there’s not need for MONUSCO.

The Security Council urges him and other stakeholders to implement their deal struck last December to hold free elections in the DRC this year.

The post UN reduces the size of its peacekeeping force in the DRC appeared first on Jean-Jacques Cornish.

]]>
US ambassador calls DRC corrupt https://jjcornish.com/2017/03/us-ambassador-calls-drc-corrupt/ Wed, 29 Mar 2017 22:00:00 +0000 https://jjcornish.com/2017/03/us-ambassador-calls-drc-corrupt/ Washington Ambassador to the United Nations  has accused the world body of aiding a corrupt government in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Nikki Haley tells the Council of Foreign Relations in New York that the UN peacekeeping mission in the DRC is mandated to partner with Kinshasa’s  crooked government. ends intro US Ambassador too the […]

The post US ambassador calls DRC corrupt appeared first on Jean-Jacques Cornish.

]]>
Washington Ambassador to the United Nations  has accused the world body of aiding a corrupt government in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Nikki Haley tells the Council of Foreign Relations in New York that the UN peacekeeping mission in the DRC is mandated to partner with Kinshasa’s  crooked government.

ends intro

US Ambassador too the UN Nikki Haley says the world organization is aiding a government that is inflicting predatory behavior against its own people.

She says they  should have the decency and common sense to end this.

Haley says UN peace missions often lose their focus and become a never-ending presence in some countries.

US President Donald Trump wants to cut the size of MONUSCO, the 20 000-strong UN peace keeping force in the DRC.

The post US ambassador calls DRC corrupt appeared first on Jean-Jacques Cornish.

]]>
UN calls attack on SA peacekeepers a war crime https://jjcornish.com/2016/12/un-calls-attack-sa-peacekeepers-war-crime/ Mon, 19 Dec 2016 22:00:00 +0000 https://jjcornish.com/2016/12/un-calls-attack-sa-peacekeepers-war-crime/ United Nations boss Ban Ki-moon’s  condemned the killing of a South African peacekeeper deployed with the United Nations Stabilisation Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. The SANDF has not released the name of the soldier killed in clashes in the North Kivu city of Butembo. The United Nations Secretary General has called on […]

The post UN calls attack on SA peacekeepers a war crime appeared first on Jean-Jacques Cornish.

]]>
United Nations boss Ban Ki-moon’s  condemned the killing of a South African peacekeeper deployed with the United Nations Stabilisation Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

The SANDF has not released the name of the soldier killed in clashes in the North Kivu city of Butembo.

The United Nations Secretary General has called on the DRC authorities to investigate the attacking and ensure the perpetrators are brought to justice.

The assailants  are believed to be from the Mai Mal militia  who have regularly attacked the UN peacekeepers known as MONUSCO.

Two South African soldiers were wounded in the onslaught that killed a policeman and five militia members.

Special representative of the secretary general Maman Sidikou says the attack constitutes a war crime but it won’t undermine the commitment and determination of MONUSCO to fulfill its mandate to protect civilians and neutralise armed groups mandate.

The post UN calls attack on SA peacekeepers a war crime appeared first on Jean-Jacques Cornish.

]]>
SA members of special brigade in DRC are ready to go https://jjcornish.com/2015/01/sa-members-special-brigade-drc-ready-go/ Tue, 13 Jan 2015 22:00:00 +0000 https://jjcornish.com/2015/01/sa-members-special-brigade-drc-ready-go/ The United Nations peacekeeping force (MONUSCO) in the DRC isn’t tipping its hand on what action it’ll be taking to meet the Security Council’s instruction to bring Hutu rebels in the east of the country to heel. Whatever decision the commander of the blue helmets takes, the South African contingent is present, ready and waiting. […]

The post SA members of special brigade in DRC are ready to go appeared first on Jean-Jacques Cornish.

]]>
The United Nations peacekeeping force (MONUSCO) in the DRC isn’t tipping its hand on what action it’ll be taking to meet the Security Council’s instruction to bring Hutu rebels in the east of the country to heel.

Whatever decision the commander of the blue helmets takes, the South African contingent is present, ready and waiting.

South Africa has an infantry battalion and squadron of Rooivalk attack helicopters in the DRC….

…. as their contribution to the Special Intervention Brigade….

….uniquely mandated to take offensive action to protect civilians.

This Brigade is being deployed to subdue about 2 000 Hutu rebels that fled Rwanda after the 1994 genocide and have failed to heed a January 2 deadline to surrender.

MONUSCO’s deputy force commander Maj. Gen. Jean Baillaud they’re well prepared for operations against the rebels.

A SANDF spokesman says South African forces in the special brigade are in place and ready to play their part.

The post SA members of special brigade in DRC are ready to go appeared first on Jean-Jacques Cornish.

]]>