South Africa’s sending a mobile laboratory to West Africa to help fight the worst outbreak of Ebola virus on record that World Health Organisation’s calling a public health emergency of international concern.
Health ministers from Southern Africa met outside Johannesburg yesterday (Wednesday) and set up an emergency fund to combat the killer disease should it cross into the region.
Health minister Aaron Motsoaledi says South Africa has so far been spared from the deadly haemorrhagic disease that’s taken nearly 950 lives in West Africa.
It can help by being a centre of excellence in laboratory diagnosis of Ebola.
Health ministers from the 14-nation Southern African Development Community decided at their meeting in Kempton Park yesterday to take special measures to prevent Ebola crossing the borders into any of their countries.
They will increase cross-border collaboration and they’ve warned their populations to be specially vigilant.
Health departments in the region will increase their surveillance for early detection of Ebola.
They’ll increase training of community health workers on how best to treat Ebola patients.
Motsoaledi says South Africa’s already selected at least one hospital in each of its nine provinces to deal with Ebola patients should the need arise.
The public has been urged to educate itself about the virus.